𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙒𝙚 𝙈𝙚𝙩
I was first introduced to this little tuxedo kitten when I was working at a 24 hour veterinary hospital. He was found under the hood of a truck and a man brought him in.
𝘼𝙡𝙚𝙭, 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘾𝙖𝙩
I knew this man well from my previous experience with him. He is a horrible man. You see, his cat named Alex had a urinary obstruction, which is very common in male cats. Alex, the cat, couldn’t pee. His urethra was blocked with crystals. Instead of bringing his cat in, the man decided to squeeze on his cat’s bladder. A urinary obstruction is extremely painful. Squeezing on a cat’s bladder when one doesn’t know how to do it, or one isn’t advised to do it is BAD!
Although Alex the cat was screaming in agony, his owner still squeezed on his bladder, and it ruptured. Did he bring Alex in at this point? No! When a cat’s bladder ruptures, the urine seeps into the abdominal cavity, causing sepsis.
So, now, Alex not only has a blocked urethra, he also has a ruptured bladder. I cannot even imagine the pain this poor cat suffered. The man decided to use an xacto knife to cut into his cat’s abdomen to remove the urine. I don’t know about you, but I’ve sliced my finger a time, or two with a knife AND IT HURTS! Now, imagine having your abdomen sliced open with no anesthesia, or pain medication. Not to mention, the dirty fur and non-sterile knife and environment.
𝘼𝙡𝙚𝙭 𝙄𝙨 𝘼𝙙𝙢𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙙
The owner waited a couple of days after he sliced Alex’s abdomen open. Alex is now in critical condition with a very guarded prognosis. After surgery, to piece Alex’s bladder and abdomen back together, and insert a catheter into his penis to help with the urine flow, Alex was placed in intensive care. Such a sweet boy for everything his owner put him through. Needless to say, the owner paid thousands of dollars to fix his cat. Alex was in ICU for weeks. He eventually pulled through.
𝘽𝙖𝙘𝙠 𝙩𝙤 𝙑𝙚𝙡𝙘𝙧𝙤
So when this little tuxedo cat was surrendered by this man, I knew there was no chance I was going to let this man change his mind on this kitten. I was the tech who triaged this kitten found under the hood, and I needed to bathe him to remove all of the grease from his fur.
I still remember bathing this little kit. He clung to me. Trying to detach him from me was like removing velcro, hence his name.
The next night, I heard that the man had come into the hospital that morning looking to adopt this kitten. Once an animal is surrendered, that person gives up all rights to the animal. Luckily for Velcro, I had taken him home after my shift was over.
Velcro continued to hang onto me. Didn’t matter how big he got – only nine pounds. If I picked him up, he would cling to my shirt, or sit on my shoulder. His meow was hilarious, he sounded like a siren.
𝘾𝙖𝙩𝙨 𝘿𝙤𝙣’𝙩 𝘼𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙇𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙊𝙣 𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙁𝙚𝙚𝙩
When Velcro would try to jump onto surfaces, anything on those surfaces would go flying, as would Velcro. Sometimes, he would land on the surface he was trying to jump on, and other times, he’d go flying right over it, landing with a thud on his side. Luckily, he was always OK.
𝙑𝙚𝙡𝙘𝙧𝙤 & 𝙃𝙞𝙨 𝘾𝙖𝙩 𝙁𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙈𝙤𝙪𝙨𝙚
When you live in the woods, creatures that are not your pets, come into the house, uninvited. When all three of your cats are staring at the refrigerator, you just know there is something underneath it.
After removing the refrigerator from the wall, a little mouse scurried behind my oven. Sigh. The mouse was first picked up by No Mar who dropped it immediately, then Miss Blur played with it for a few minutes, then Velcro got ahold of this poor traumatized mouse. Velcro had his canine teeth removed due to stomatitis, an autoimmune disease of the mouth. So this little mouse wasn’t injured while it was in Velcro’s mouth. But as another mouse had entered into the house during this ruckus, I was able to catch and release it back outside. But when I opened the door, Velcro with the first mouse escaped. He wandered all around the house, meowing. I’m sure he was delighted with his capture. But I told him that the mouse couldn’t care less about his story of whatever he was trying to communicate.
Needless to say, he finally got bored with the mouse and dropped it. The mouse was in shell shock. It’s a good thing that the mouse stayed put while I gathered Velcro into my arms, and back inside the house. I checked on the mouse, but it was gone.
Velcro lived for 12 years, which isn’t an old age. But he ended up with cancer and when he stopped eating, it was time for me to let him go. He was a joy to have as a pet. He got along great with the other cats and dogs that I had. I can still hear his siren voice.
Velcro passed away shortly before my Mom did. The signs he was showing were what my Mom was dealing with. It really put it into perspective, and I was able to explain stuff to my Mom – like her ascites – fluid retained in the abdominal cavity – because Velcro also suffered from this. At Velcro’s passing, I still thought my Mom would live. But having an infection and cancer is not easy on the immune system.
It’s been years now – five to be exact, and I still miss this little guy.